Charlotte Nassim's new book Lessons from the Lobster: Eve Marder's Work in Neuroscience describes the intellectual journey of one of neuroscientists true pioneers. Not only has Dr. Marder been part of the field since its early days, but she has consistently done paradigm shifting work. Although Nassim never mentions the Nobel Prize, I suspect that many readers will come away convinced that Marder deserves that award.
In BS 147 I provide an overview of Marder's career based on Nassim's meticulous research. The emphasis is on Marder's key contributions including those related to neuromodulation, the dynamic clamp technique, and the importance of variability. The episode is more technical than usual and will appeal most to students and working neuroscientists. However, I hope it will also give non-scientists a sense of what it means to be a truly outstanding scientist.
How to get this episode:
- FREE: audio mp3 (click to stream, right click to download)
- Episode Transcript [Buy for $2] [Free for Premium and Patreon supporters]
- Premium Subscribers have unlimited access to ALL old episodes and transcripts, as well as extra content for selected episodes. You also get ad-free versions of newer episodes.
- New episodes of Brain Science are ALWAYS FREE. The most recent 50 episodes are also free. See the individual show notes for links to the audio files.
- BSP 56 with Eve Marder is also FREE for a limited time.
Links and References
- BSP 56 Interview with Dr. Eve Marder (2009)
- Lessons from the Lobster: Eve Marder's Work in Neuroscience by Charlotte Nassim
- Marder, E. (2018) The voice of evidence. eLife 39915 (Full article)
- Marder, E. (2012) Neuromodulation of neuronal circuits: back to the future. Neuron, 76, 1-11. (link to full paper)
- Goaillard, J.M., Taylor, A.L., Schulz, D., & Marder, E. (2009) Functional Consequences of animal -to-animal variation in circuit parameters. Nature Neuroscience, 12, 1424-1430.
- Golowasch, J., Casey, M. Abbott, L.F., & Marder, E. (2002) Failure of averaging in the construction of a conductance-based neuron model. Journal of Neurophysiology, 87.1129-1131. (Full Paper)
- Turrigiano, G, Abbott, L.F., & Marder, E. (1994) Activity-dependent Changeds in the Intrinsic Properties of Cultured Neurons. Science, 264, 974-977.
- LeMasson, G., Marder, E., & Abbott, L.F. (1993). Activity-dependent regulation of conductances in model neurons. Science, 259, 1915-1917. (Abstract)
- Sharp, A.A., O’Neil, M.B., Abbott, L.F., & Marder, (1993) E. Dynamic Clamp: computer-generated conductances in real neurons. Journal of Neurophysiology, 69, 992-5. (Abstract)
- Marder, E. (1984). Mechanisms underlying neurotransmitter modulation of a neuronal circuit. Trends in Neurosciences, 7, 48-53.
- Marder, E (1974) Acetylcholine as an excitatory neurotransmitter in the stomatogastric system of the lobster. Nature, 251, 730-731.