In his new book The Biological Mind: How Brain, Body, and Environment Collaborate to Make Us Who We Are, Dr Alan Jasanoff from MIT argues against what he calls the cerebral mystique, which is the tendency to view the human brain as much more autonomous and mysterious than it really is. Our conversation (BS 146) brings together several key ideas that have been discussed on past episodes of Brain Science, but our emphasis is on the fact the Mind is not just the Brain because the Mind is created by the interaction of the Brain with both the Body and its environment. Failure to appreciate the biological nature of our Minds has consequences in many aspects of our lives, including how we approach both mental health and issues of social justice.
How to get this episode:
- FREE: audio mp3 (click to stream, right click to download)
- Episode Transcript [Buy for $2] [Free for Premium and Patreon supporters]
- Premium Subscribers have unlimited access to ALL old episodes and transcripts, as well as extra content for selected episodes.
- New episodes of Brain Science are ALWAYS FREE. The most recent 50 episodes are also free. See the individual show notes for links to the audio files.
Links and References
- The Biological Mind: How Brain, Body, and Environment Collaborate to Make Us Who We Are by Alan Jasanoff
- Avoiding Neuromania (BS 109)
- Dr. Alan Jasanoff (MIT Department of Biological Engineering)
- The People's Choice Podcast Awards will be accepting listener nominations from July 1-July 31, 2018. Please go to http://podcastawards.com to nominate Brain Science in Science and Medicine.
- If you want to join my trip to Australia in 2019 send me email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Our next Brain Science LIVE on Facebook will be July 5, 2018 at 8PM Central Time. We will be discussing BS 142, which was about Peripersonal Neurons. Live comments are encouraged but you have until July 1 to submit questions or comments for inclusion. Don't forget that Premium and Patreon supporters will have access to the audio of this live event.