Neuropsychologist Elkhonon Goldberg has recently published a fascinating new book called Creativity: The Human Brain in the Age of Innovation. Goldberg expands on his earlier books, which focused on the importance of the pre-frontal cortex and presented evidence for his claim that the main role of the right hemisphere is to deal with novelty. In addition he explores how creativity requires a delicate balance between focused thought and the ability to connect ideas in new and surprising ways.
It was a pleasure to interview him for BS 143 since he was one of my earliest guests way back in BSP 18, which was recorded in the summer of 2007.
How to get this episode:
- FREE: audio mp3 (click to stream, right click to download)
- Coming Soon: Episode Transcript [Buy for $2]
- Premium Subscribers have unlimited access to ALL old episodes and transcripts, as well as extra content for selected episodes.
- New episodes of Brain Science are ALWAYS FREE. The most recent 50 episodes are also free. See the individual show notes for links to the audio files.
References and Links
- Creativity: The Human Brain in the Age of Innovation by Elkonon Goldberg
- The SharpBrains Guide to Brain Fitness: How to Optimize Brain Health and Performance at Any Age by Alvaro Fernandez and Dr. Elkhonon Goldberg (2nd ed 2013). Featured in BSP 100
- The New Executive Brain: Frontal Lobes in a Complex World by Elkhonon Goldberg
- The Executive Brain: Frontal Lobes and the Civilized Mind (2002)by Elkhonon Goldberg. Featured in BSP 16.
- The Wisdom Paradox: How Your Mind Can Grow Stronger As Your Brain Grows Older (2005) by Elkhonon Goldberg. Featured in BSP 17.
- AFT Arnsten, MJ Wang, and CD Paspalas, "Neuromodulation of Thought: Flexibilities and Vulnerabilities in Prefrontal Cortical/Network Synapses." Neuron 76 (2012):223-239.
- AFT Arnsten, CD Pasaplas, NJ Gamo, Y Yang, and M Wang, "Dynamic Network Connectivity: A New Form of Neuroplasticity," Trends in Cognitive Neuroscience 14 (2010): 365-375.
- Other episodes mentioned during the show: Olaf Sporns (BSP 74 and BSP 103) and Michael Anderson (BSP 124)
- See Episode Transcript for additional links and references.
Starting on the first Thursday in April (April 5, 2018) at 8PM Central Time, Dr. Campbell will be hosting a monthly Facebook Book Live session which will be available on her profile page and the Brain Science podcast Fan Page.
Send email to email@example.com.