Episode 29 of the Brain Science Podcast is an interview with cognitive neuroscientist, Dr. Maryanne Wolf, author of Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain. I discussed her book in Episode 24, so this interview was an opportunity to ask her some follow-up questions, and to focus more on how children learn to read. Dr. Wolf shares her ten years of experience helping children learn to read and developing programs to help children with problems like dyslexia. She shares some practical advice for parents as well as her concerns about how reliance on the internet could influence reading skills.
I enjoyed the conversation and, while I especially want to share this episode with parents, I think Dr. Wolf gives everyone some interesting ideas to consider.
How to get this episode:
- Premium Subscribers now have unlimited access to all old episodes and transcripts.
- Buy mp3 for $1.
- Buy Transcript for $1.
- New episodes of the Brain Science Podcast are always FREE. All episodes posted after January 1, 2013, are free. See the individual show notes for links the audio files.
- Director of The Center for Reading and Language Development.
- Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain.
- The Center for Reading and Language Development (Tufts University)
- RAVE-O: A Comprehensive, Fluency-Based Reading Intervention Program.