Episode 18 of the Brain Science Podcast is an interview with Dr. Elkhonon Goldberg, PhD.
- I apologize for the uneven sound quality of this episode. If any one out there has any suggestions, please drop me an email.
- Dr. Goldberg shared a little bit about the breadth of his work as a neuropsychologist.
- We talked about his rather unique perspective on the difference between the right and left brain hemispheres. He explained why he feels that as we get older we move from reliance on the right hemisphere, which he feels is the novelty hemisphere, to a reliance on the left hemisphere, where our lifetime store of patterns enables us to use pattern recognition as a short cut in problem solving.
- We talked about the importance of constant mental challenge, and Dr. Goldberg gives his advice about how we can keep our brains healthy through out our lives.
The following are two companies that Dr. Goldberg is working with to provide information to the public and also tools for cognitive enhancement:
- SharpBrains: This is a clearing house for information, and they evaluate many of the products currently being offered.
- HeadStrong Cognitive Fitness: This Australian company offers a net-based program for cognitive enhancement based on Dr. Goldberg's research. I am hoping to test their products in the near future.